Author bio section
I am the author of this blog and also a top-producing Loan Officer and CEO of InstaMortgage Inc, the fastest-growing mortgage company in America. All the advice is based on my experience of helping thousands of homebuyers and homeowners. We are a mortgage company and will help you with all your mortgage needs. Unlike lead generation websites, we do not sell your information to multiple lenders or third-party companies.
This post will help you find all the details on 3% down payment assistance program (CHDAP) for San Jose and rest of the Bay Area First Time Home Buyers. I have earlier blogged about CalHFA 5% downpayment program & $8000 First Time Home Buyer Credit in my earlier posts.
The California Homebuyers Downpayment Assistance Program (CHDAP) is a deferred payment, simple interest rate junior loan not to exceed 3% of the sales price or appraised value, whichever is less. The junior loan may be combined with a CalHFA first mortgage loan that is available for only 5% downpayment.
CHDAP may be used as additional down payment or to pay closing costs as allowed by CalHFA, the Lender and the mortgage insurer/guarantor.
Borrower Eligibiltyy – You must meet the following requirements to qualify for this Down Payment Assistance :
- Be a first-time homebuyer
- Occupy the property as your primary residence
- Your income cannot exceed HCD-defined moderate income limits established for the county in which the borrower is purchasing
- Meet credit, income and loan requirements of the CalHFA Conventional Loan Underwriting Guidelines.
Property Eligibilty – Properties must meet the following requirements :
- Sales price of the home cannot exceed CalHFA sales price limits established for the county in which the property is located
- Be a single-family, one-unit residence, including condominium /PUD
Repayment of Junior Loan – Repayment of the principal and interest on the junior loan shall be due and payable at the earlier of the following events:
- Transfer of title
- Sale of the residence
- Payoff or refinance of the first loan
- Upon the formal filing and recording of a Notice of Default (unless rescinded)
Note that as a First Time HomeBuyer even if you use CalHFA & CHDAP, you may still be eligible for the $8000 federal First Time HomeBuyer credit. If you would like to know more about these programs, please contact me.
- 80This is not a good news for first time home buyers in San Francisco Bay Area and rest of the state. CA state tax credit of $10,000 for First Time Home Buyers has reached the $100 million limit. Background - In April this year California government made the $10,000 tax…
- 79The great author and speaker Og Mandino once said, "I will act now. I will act now. I will act now." This is great advice for prospective homebuyers over the next 45 days, as two key government programs that have kept home ownership more affordable than ever wind down to…
- 79There has been a lot of buzz in the media over last couple of days about extension of First Time Buyer Credit. National Association of Mortgage Brokers (NAMB), National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and National Association of Realtors (NAR), have been working with the Government for sometime now to…
- 79First Time Home Buyer Tax Credit for San Jose and rest of the Bay Area Who is Eligible? The $8,000 tax credit is available for first-time home buyers only. The law defines first-time home buyer as a buyer who has not owned a principal residence during the three-year period prior…
- 78In the final state of the state address of his gubernatorial career, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed a second round of $10,000 first time home buyer tax credit. The previous tax credit depleted eight months before the deadline after benefiting almost 10,700 California home buyers. The Franchise Tax Board stopped taking…